Welcome to Bayou City FlyersFebruary 7, 2023
Bayou City Flyers is a family-oriented club open to all categories of RC Flying with training available for new flyers. We host several types of events a year including SWAP meets. We welcome all types of RC planes: Electric, Glow/Gas, Jets (Turbine/EDF), Helicopters, Drones, Giant Scale, Aerobatic/Pattern, Pylon Racers, etc. Additionally, adjacent to BCF are Control Line and Soaring/Glider fields . We are located in George Bush Park (west side of Houston, Texas), within the Dick Scobee Memorial Airfields area located on the northwest corner of Westheimer Parkway and South Barker Cypress Road at the end of Challenger Dr. For reference, our street address is 17260 Westheimer Parkway, Houston, TX 77082.
The Bayou City Flyers home field area includes a 630ft long x 80ft wide paved runway oriented 320 / 140 for fixed wing powered RC model aircraft and an adjacent area within the “fly zone” for RC helicopters and multirotor (drone) model aircraft. See our drone footage
The Bayou City Flyers RC club is chartered by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA Club 901).
- Come join us on March 11 for this year’s first SWAP MEET. FREE ADMISSION & FREE TO SELL. Bring your own table/tailgate. Field open for flying to all current AMA members.
- Folks, seems to be some misunderstanding on use of website. Members have to REGISTER on the website SEPARATELY from their club membership as a website User. The two items ARE NOT related. Once they have registered as a club member then register as a Website User (Under the Member & Membership Tab) if they want access to the website members only documents and information. The website manager will approve the registration once entered.
- Bayou City Flyers NOTAM is the club newsletter. Current news, events and information. Click on the image and again on the post page image to read the October NOTAM. For Members ALL previous NOTAMs can be found under the Member & Membership Tab. Take some time and enjoy. https://www.bayoucityflyersrc.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2022/12/Jan-2023-NOTAM.pdf
- Great turnout for annual Christmas/Holiday Party at Rudy's BBQ, 21799 I-10 Katy Frwy in Katy, TX 77450. Great food, friends and prizes!!! The Raffel prizes were AWESOME and thanks to all the Vendors who donated and to the club board and officers for a fantastic 2022!
- Runway FOD (Foreign Object Debris). Please help by picking up any debris you see after yours or someone else's crash or incident. If the nose gear door is yours, please contact me if you'd like it back. M. Wise / Website
- Jaclyn Ritter, Jack Ritter's daughter did a feature article on R/C Flying with Bayou City Flyers this summer for the Katy/Fulshear Explore Magazines. The magazines are available at the links included and a PDF of the article is posted.
Planes / Jets / Helicopters of the Month
Plans, Kits, and Scratch Built
Looking for the next aircraft built from plans, kits or scratch BUILT. Please share your ongoing project pictures. Joe Chauffe brought in a canard kit plane he'd redone after picking at 'Ya Gotta Know Joe's resale shop. Covered in duct tape for 'easy repairs' along with other material. Joe said he had to redo incidences since the original builder had not done them correctly. Electric pusher that flies, albeit not all that well. :) NICE JOB!
JETS - Turbine / EDFJuly 2019: New Category for members who build and fly Turbine or Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) jets. Bring in your 'Fast Movers" guys and share the SPEED!
Aeronautical Engineering - Project Rebuild
July 2019: Maximillian (Max) Burton our Club Treasurer, crashed his Hanger 9 10cc Ultra Stick Wednesday, July 17th. As you can see not pretty.
However; since I was flying at the field to maiden one of my rebuilt mash-ups and witnessed the ‘thump’, and looked at the remaining pieces which the recovering crew picked up, I offered to rebuild it for Max as a project and post the process and pictures here to the website. Luckily for Max the OS .65 Engine was fine along with the servos. The radio receiver was toast, yet the satellite receiver was good. Wheel pants pretty wrecked as well as fuel tank, prop and spinner. Horizon has replacement wheel pants but may try to salvage since I’m looking to do with just parts on hand.
(Project complete and delivered to Max on August 25th, 2019) (M. Wise) https://www.bayoucityflyersrc.com/hangar-9-ultra-stick-rebuild-project/
Planes Almost Ready to Fly (ARF), Almost Ready to Cover (ARC) or finish or been Re-designed / Resurrected / or Imagined (BASHed). Show us your flying models! Need to fly at least once to be considered.
2023 (Jan) BARF - George Lumpkin showed off his modified ARF from an old Skyhawk kit that was originally designed for a glow engine ducted fan. George modified with two EDFs! Nice Job!
HELICOPTERSScale or Fun Helicopters. Bring your "Whirly Birds" guys and share the excitement of helicopter flying!
Thrust Test Stand
November 2022: George Lumpkin brought in an updated thrust test stand acquired from Ron Mers donated RC materials. He explained its operation and offered to test anyone's motor/battery/propeller combination.
(George wrote handout which can be found here: https://www.bayoucityflyersrc.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2022/11/Thrust-Tester.pdf